Monday, August 17, 2009

En Santiago

Hola from Santiago, Chile!

I arrived in Santiago for the first time today at half after 7, Eastern time. The temperature, at only 50°F, was a big shock following the 60-some-odd days over 100° in Texas this summer. Today is gray, cold, and rainy, also a big difference from Texas, as it’s been awhile since we’ve seen real rain. As much as I enjoyed avoiding customs on this transit arrival, I would have liked to grab my jacket from the checked baggage. Alas, Starbucks is keeping me warm, all the way down here in the Southern Hemisphere.

In true grad student fashion, I hoarded my airline non-perishables to get me through the day, although there are some fabulous-looking empanadas advertised at an Irish pub-themed fast-food restaurant?? I think I’ll pass, as I’m sure many empanadas outside of the airport are sure to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment